Out and about and nowhere special

Out and about and nowhere special

Friday, August 31, 2018

Touring around Charlotte

I never imagined I would have a job as a tour guide in Charlotte. It's quite fun. Not only do you get to meet people from all over the world, but you have the ability to learn something from them, as well.

Sometimes I wish I had a globe where I could mark off the countries that have been represented on my golf cart. Of course, many of the states would be checked off in North America, along with countries in Europe, Asia, South America and Africa. Oh, and don't forget Australia. 

It's exciting to join in the conversation. My parents were world travelers so that helps me bridge the gap between places I only know about and places I've personally seen.

I suppose people in Australia live the furthest from me. But perhaps I'd have to Google it. I've met people from Luxembourg, Germany, Austria, France, England, Scotland, Ireland, Ghana, India, Turkey, Peru, Argentina, the islands in the Caribbean, and countries in Canada. And more.

I found out that Peru is where the potatoes started and they have 10,000 varieties. Crazy. Unfortunately, I didn't write many facts down. 


So today was busy, yet I only had two tours with people. I took a family across town for $5, and then gave two ladies that work at the visitor center in the Convention Center a short tour, so they could continue to recommend our business to others.

With only three carts, it does get frustrating sometimes because not everyone has the oppty to drive. I'm glad I'm the #2 driver, so I pretty much get the 2nd choices. If I were 4th or 5th, it might be awhile til something pops up. 

There are times when I feel like it's best to share the times I get with other people, but I have to remember, this is my full time job. I need to make a min of $700/wk and that doesn't always happen. So far, I've been able to pay the bills on my own. I have some money set aside for a possible bankruptcy filing - long story - another time, perhaps. But other than that - what I have is what I'm currently making.

It's definitely a happy ending so far. This is the first time in my life that I've had to support anyone, let alone myself. When I had my parents inheritance, I never worried about the money. I knew it would be there. Now - it's gone and so its only me. I am proud of my self and hope to continue to do this. It definitely takes discipline.

Someday, when i can get my credit cards paid off, I'll have $300 more a month to pay off my car. Then I'll be saving another $300+. That's the goal - to be debt free (again) and then be able to help other organizations better - like my church. 

Being an adult is good. Of course, in many ways, I'm still a child. And it doesn't bother me anymore. I do what I can do and I have fun. Life is fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment